ARMA represents firms of managing agents. We do not represent individual property managers. Our members range from small family run businesses looking after a few blocks to national companies managing tens of thousands of flats across numerous developments.
The types of buildings ARMA members manage can vary enormously in size and style; some are new build tower blocks, some are converted houses and others are purpose built mansion blocks dating back to the Twenties and Thirties.
It’s worth remembering that the residential leasehold sector is unregulated. Anyone can set up as managing agent and start collecting service charges without the relevant qualifications or experience. This is why ARMA has introduced its Consumer Charter and Standards in 2015 aimed at consumer protection and best practice in all areas of residential leasehold management.
We thoroughly vet all our members before they join. By using an ARMA agent you can be confident that:
- They have the right professional experience: every member has to prove they have at least two years’ residential management experience
- Your service charge money is being held legally and safely: all members must demonstrate they hold service charge monies in trust as required by law
- The member has Professional Indemnity Insurance: this covers you against inadequate advice and negligence relating to a member
- Your agent is committed to and bound by professional standards: all ARMA agents must comply with the RICS Service Charge Residential Management Code.
- If something goes wrong, you can get independent redress: all members must belong to an independent redress scheme.
Associates are managing agents that are working towards becoming a Member, but do not yet meet the two-year trading rule, or who may have had their application for accreditation declined. This is a transitory category where maximum periods are set and they will either progress to Member, or if still not qualified to do so after the specified period, will no longer receive Member level benefits.
A partner is a company that is not directly involved in block management but whose services are essential for managing agents. This includes commercial service providers such as accountancy firms, solicitors, insurance, management services, debt collection etc.
OUR NETWORK MEMBERS
ARMA Network members are those not directly involved in the practice of residential block management or those who manages only their own portfolio of residential properties, and who wish to benefit from the technical support of ARMA. This includes developers, freeholders, corporate landlords, and housing associations.
OUR RMC/RTM DIRECTORS
RMC/RTM Directors are non-commercial companies involved in the management of their own leasehold blocks of flats but are not eligible for full ARMA Membership. This will include Resident Managing Companies (RMCs), Right To Manage Companies (RTMs) and Residents Associations.